- Anti-Taliban rallies held in Pakistan
Thousands of people have held rallies across the major cities in Pakistan to show their opposition to the ongoing militancy in the country.
- Iraq parliamentary election rescheduled for March 7
Iraq will postpone the 2010 parliamentary elections for an extra day, changing the approved date of March 6 to 7.
- Lebanon should have one army, Maronite patriarch says
Lebanon’s Maronite Patriarch Nasrallah Sfeir says that he is opposed to the government’s decision to allow the Hezbollah resistance forces to retain their weapons.
- Kuwaiti MPs set to remove prime minister
Kuwaiti opposition lawmakers file two motions to remove Prime Minister Sheikh Nasir al-Muhammad al-Ahmad al-Sabah and his interior minister over corruption charges.
- The Punjab: The Geography of Fundamentalism
Islamabad, Asharq Al-Awsat – What is the link between Ajmal Kasab (the lone surviving gunman of the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attack), Zaki ur Rehman Lakhvi (the alleged mastermind of the 2008 Mumbai attacks) and Hafiz Muhammad Saeed (the former leader of Lashkar-e-Taiba)?
- India can have a Muslim PM if he is “the most capable person for post”: Rahul Gandhi
NEW DELHI, — A Muslim can become the prime minister of India provided he is “the most capable person to hold the post”, said Rahul Gandhi, the Nehru-Gandhi family scion and son of former Indian premier Rajiv Gandhi and present Congress president Sonia Gandhi, reported the Press Trust of India (PTI).
- Houthi fighters down Yemeni warplane in Amran
Houthi fighters have reportedly shot down a Yemeni army aircraft as it sought to tighten the noose around Shia fighters and pound their positions in the northern province of Amran.
- Quran Memorization Centers for Women to be Set Up in Qatar
Ministry of Endowments and Islamic Affairs of Qatar plans to establish four mosques in different parts of the country as well as a Quran memorization center for women in Ma’izar region in Al-Rayan next year.
- Update + 118 killed, 197 injured in Baghdad blasts
At least 118 people have been killed and 197 others sustained injuries as multiple bomb-rigged cars exploded in quick succession ripped through Iraqi capital of Baghdad.
- Iran says Saudis handed missing scientist to US
An Iranian nuclear scientist who went missing in Saudi Arabia has been “handed over by Riyadh to Washington,” Mehr news agency reported on Tuesday, quoting Tehran’s foreign ministry spokesman.